Saturday, February 21, 2009

In a Fog

People have been complaining that the rains haven't come this winter season. My house cleaner told me two weeks ago, "that's it, the season's over - no rain!" They were very wrong. True, we had very little rain in November and December, but it seems like we're getting a full soaking now.

My house is about 800 meters up a steep hill that overlooks Tel Aviv. When the rain moves in, my house is literally in the clouds. I can't see to my neighbors' houses just 15 feet on either side, the street lights are barely visible, and the rain just comes pouring down. It's a cold rain. Running the heat is extremely costly, but on a day like today, the cold chill that runs deep inside me doesn't want to think about the money.

I feel like I've been in a mental fog for a few weeks. I'm not sure if its the busy schedule at work, the drama that has been going on among colleagues, or my son's insatiable energy, but I can't focus and I have no interest in trying to get things in any well-thought out pattern or goal. The environment all around me seems to match it - politics on both sides of the green line are an absolute mess. Its one of those periods when wait and see is not a waste of a time, but in fact the only productive stance to take.

When it rains, though, it seems to pull me out of the fog. Waiting for it to lift.

No comments: