Sunday, February 7, 2010

Somebody is writing my life in Fairytales

One of the reasons I've found it difficult to keep updated on the blog recently is that the reality of my life has become a little too overwhelming and distracting. I've been focusing my energy on keeping my head above water. I am fortuned to be surrounded by friends who offer sympathetic ears, kind arms and shoulders to cry on, and offers to occupy my son so I can have the peace and quiet I need to process everything.


Today a good friend came by to tell me that her daughter spent her weekend writing a fairytale about "Donna" - hardly a common Arab name, indicating the stories were based on her daughter's numerous interactions with me. And the tales are apparently quite intriguing- a woman living the "complex realities" of a dream world, and other poetic turns of phrases that seemed far more mature in language than her 10 year old brain. As my friend described the written tales, I started to wish that was the world I was living in.



Sometimes I feel that my fairytale was ripped out from under my feet and tramped on. Then the person who stole and mocked that fairytale, adopted it for himself. And now, he is seemingly enjoying showing it off and rubbing it in my face.



I have to hold onto the belief that the beautiful life I imagined for myself is in the process of being replaced by a life of love and beauty beyond my greatest imagination. But still, I do somehow wish that it could all be a fairytale.

No comments: